An EZwhelp Recommended Heating Solution Why heat with a lamp?
Lamp heating has several advantages over the use of heating pads or cradles.
- Heat lamps can be a perfect solution for puppy warmth because they address the need for minor temperature variance at the surface, unlike other surface based solutions. Yet this inconsistent temperature (declining away from lamp center) is also a problem for puppies competing for the same warmth. This is where our RetroLite lamp strikes a perfect balance for constant, but gradual warming (see discussion below).
- When using lamps, electrical cords will not be inside the whelping box.
- No cleaning is required for lamps, whereas pads, cradles, or other "in box" devices require maintenance.
The floor pad in combination with the corrugated plastic flooring of our boxes provides good insulation from the ground. Corrugated plastic traps air in the floor fluting thus maximizing the natural insulation qualities of non-circulating air.Why use the RetroLite lamp?
No other lamp can match it. The revolutionary Comfort Zone 20 lamp was specifically designed to provide consistent heat over the litter area without hot spots. Other lamps will create a hot point at center which significantly graduates down as the puppies lie further away. Such lamps make it too difficult for the puppies to find and benefit from consistent temperature. Although some graduation is desirable (so the puppies can self-adjust), the CZ20 provides for only a slight temperature variance--not too much, not too little. Perfect.
Chart showing the temperature consistency of the CZ20 lamp.
How high should I set the lamp?
This will vary depending on ambient room temperature. At a room temperature of 66 degrees (F), a height of 26" will create a surface temperature of approximately 78 degrees. (Measure the height from the bottom of the lamp, not the plastic lampholder, to the floor surface.) Raise or lower the lamp to adjust the surface temperature.
Breeders will often seek to warm the puppies with a box temperature of about 85 degrees for the first couple days and then back off to maintain 75 to 80 degrees. Assume some variation among breeds. See the tips below for ideas on gauging the comfort level of your puppies.
The RetroLite "Hang Straight" Heat Lamp Fixture
Use our Retrolite Comfort Zone lamp with the "Hang Straight" lamp fixture:
- Sturdy 9' cord allows flexibility and safety in suspending the lamp.
- Lampholder is fully enclosed to protect against breakage and water penetration.
- Screw shell and center contact of lampholder are nickel plated to prevent bonding to heat lamp screw base. This eliminates separation of the glass from the screw base during relamping.
- Shock absorbing non-metallic shade/enclosure will not dent or corrode and reduces the risk of damage to the heat lamp.
- A portion of the heat lamp's light is diffused through the opaque shade/enclosure to provide supplemental illumination.
Artificially controlling the temperature for puppies (and the mom) can be dangerous if not done carefully. Whelps can be harmed by too much heat, as well as insufficient heat. We recommend that inexperienced breeders work with a breeding mentor, or consult their vet regarding proper temperatures and puppy comfort. We offer the following tips as suggestions for consideration:
Caution: Do not use heat lamps (or any other artificial heating device) with newspaper or other combustible materials inside the whelping box.
- An indication that the temperature is too warm: puppies scattered and tending away from the heat lamp.
- An indication that the temperature is too cool: puppies cuddling and piling on top of each other.
- Lamp heat should only be applied to a portion of the whelping box -- allowing the mom and puppies (if too warm) to move away.
- Artificial heat should always be closely supervised.
Order Heating Supplies
|1) RetroLite Comfort Zone 20 Heat Lamp.|
The revolutionary lamp designed to deliver consistent heat without hot spots. 175 Watts. Consider getting a spare lamp.
|2) Hang Straight Heat Lamp Fixture.|
Shock-absorbing plastic design significantly extends lamp life. 250 Watts.
|3) EZwhelp Lamp Rod Attachment. Regular|
Rod for attaching EZwhelp Heat Lamp Fixture to EZwhelp whelping box. Regular Size (lamp can be as high as 26 inches).
|4) EZwhelp Lamp Rod Attachment. Tall|
Rod for attaching EZwhelp Heat Lamp Fixture to EZwhelp whelping box. Tall Size (lamp can be as high as 35 inches). Extra shipping charge for this item.
|Complete Heat Lamp Solution. Regular|
Includes items 1, 2, and 3 above. Also includes one extra plastic clip for fastening power cord. The lamp stand (the rod) works with an EZwhelp whelping box. View assembly instructions here.
|Complete Heat Lamp Solution. Tall|
Includes items 1, 2, and 4 above. Also includes one extra plastic clip for fastening power cord. The lamp stand (the rod) works with an EZwhelp whelping box. Extra shipping charge for this item. View assembly instructions here.
|Reptile Heat Emitter (no light).|
For breeders that prefer no light from their heat source. This 250 Watt ceramic heat emitter gets very warm and requires close supervision. Do NOT use this emitter with our Hang Straight Heat Lamp Fixture (which is designed exclusively for RetroLite heat lamps). This emitter can be used with our Brooder Clamp Fixture or similar equipment.
|Brooder Clamp Fixture for Heat Emitter.|
Not as versatile as the Hang Straight Heat Lamp fixture but required if using the reptile heat emitter. Maximum wattage of 300w. Can also be used with the RetroLite lamp.
|*||ALL shipping quotes are applicable to continental US 48 states only. Additional shipping payment is required for Alaska and Hawaii (please contact us prior to ordering). We do not ship internationally (including Canada). Please note that shipping charges for whelping boxes, exercise pens, and gates are calculated per item. Shipping for our other products is calculated (and discounted) by dollar amount.|